Comparative Study of Religions 2013 June UGC NET Solved Question Paper III
1. The study of religion is not related to
(A) Historical Approach
(B) Anthropological Approach
(C) Sociological Approach
(D) Mechanical Approach
2. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(A) Vedas – Sanskrit
(B) Jain Agams – Prakrit
(C) Quran – Pali
(D) Guru Granth Sahib – Gurmukhi
3. Which of the following ideas has never been the part of Primitive society?
4. What does Animism stand for?
(A) Animal Kingdom
(B) Love for animals
(C) Making of a film involving animals
(D) All things in nature consist of life
5. The correct meaning of interfaith dialogue is
(A) Different people not having mutual understanding
(B) Two persons having mutual conversation on their faiths
(C) People fighting for their rituals
(D) People fighting for their nation
6. Which of the following is the correct meaning of Totemism?
(A) An old man is worshipped as God.
(B) An animal is worshipped as family God.
(C) An old enemy is killed for clan.
(D) An independent inquiry of religious facts.
7. Which one of the following scriptures is written in Arabic Language?
(D) Guru Granth Sahib
8. Which one of the following scriptures has 1430 pages?
(A) Guru Granth Sahib
9. The correct meaning of Atheism is
(A) No faith in Motherhood
(B) No faith in Society
(C) No faith in God
(D) No faith in Science
10. This religion believes in the transmigration of soul
11. Revelation is not the source of this religion
12. This cannot be included in the beliefs of religion
13. The odd one in the following is:
(A) God, prayer, meditation
(B) Non-violence, Peace, Harmony
(C) Mecca, Hinduism, Tirthankara
(D) Revelation, Scripture, Recitation
14. This is not known as the science of religion
(A) Comparative study of religion
(B) Phenomenological study of religion
(C) Hermeneutical study of religion
(D) Fanatic study of religion
15. One of the prophets among the following has said that the way to salvation is only through him
(A) Guru Nanak
(D) Jesus Christ
16. The term ‘Rahit Nama’ is associated with this religion
17. ‘Ratnatraya’ is the fundamental principle of this religion
18. Which one of the following pairs is correctly matched?
(A) Fasting and the month of Ramadan
(B) Guru-Parb and Bhagavan Mahavir
(C) Crucifixion and Jainism
(D) Tipitaka and Christianity
19. The Vedas were revealed to
20. The following two Brahmana-Scriptures are related to Rigveda:
(A) Aitareya and Shankhayana
(B) Śatpatha and Gopatha
(C) Taittiriya and Gopatha
(D) Jaiminiya and Tandya
21. According to Shankhya philosophy Pramanas are
22. Ramanujacharya is the profounder of
23. “Mā Nishada Pratishtham Tvamagamah Shashwatih Samah” uttered firstly by
24. Idol worship was strongly opposed in his social reform and Bhakti movement by
25. Inspired by the Vedic knowledge the widow remarriage movement was started by
(A) Keshava Chandra Sen
(B) Swami Ramteerth
(C) Sir Saiyad Ahmad Khan
(D) Dayanand Saraswati
26. The oldest name of ‘Jaina Dharma’was
(A) Muni Dharma
(B) Nirgrantha Dharma
(C) Sthānakavāsi Dharma
(D) Yāpanīya Dharma
27. The birthplace of Lord Pārśvanātha is
28. Identify the text which belongs to the Ardhamagdhi Āgama literature
29. The main subject matter of the Tattvārthasūtra is
(A) Jaina Narratives and Purāna
(B) Description of the path of liberation
(C) Biography of Jaina Ācāryas
(D) Description of the Jaina sects
30. Shravanabelagola is famous as a place of penance of
(A) Ācārya Śivārya
(B) Ācārya Hemachandra
(C) Ācārya Samantabhadra
(D) Ācārya Bhadrabhāhu
31. The Jaina text ‘Bhagavati Ārādhanā’ mainly deals with
(A) Jaina Logic
(B) Jaina Mathematics
(C) Description of heavens and hells
32. The religion which proclaimed ‘Ratnatraya’ as the path of liberation is
33. According to Jainism the dispenser of the fruits of actions is
(A) Disciplined person
(B) Earlier virtuous acts
34. The Jaina Monuments of Devagarha are especially famous for
(D) Illustrated Manuscripts
35. Contemporary development of Jainism is represented by introduction of
(A) Creation of the group of Samanasand Samanis in between householders and monks.
(B) Increasing worship of Hindu Gods in Jaina community
(C) Attraction towards performing non-attachment
(D) Attraction towards religious activities in youth
36. Gautama Buddha was among his six contemporary religious profounder
(A) The eldest
(B) The youngest
(C) Equal to all
(D) Elder to the first two
37. The Buddha’s teachings were introduced to Sri Lanka for the first time during the period
(A) 6th Century B.C.
(B) 5th Century B.C.
(C) 4th Century B.C.
(D) 3rd Century B.C.
38. The KATHĀVATTHU was authored by
(D) Moggaliputta Tissa
39. The place where Siddhartha (Buddha) was born, is known as
40. The doctrines of Śūnyvāda were started and propagated by the one known as
(A) Asa ga
41. The Sanchi Buddhist Stupa was primarily constructed by
(D) King Ashoka
42. The famous Buddhist text related with Nāgasena is known as
(B) Abhidhammttha-Sa gaho
(C) Mahāva so
43. The Buddhism prevalent in Sri Lanka is known as
44. The Buddha’s teaching on the four Noble Truths compiled in the Tripitaka is available under thediscourse known as
(A) Mahāparinibbāna Sutta
(B) Dhaniya Sutta
(C) Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta
(D) Mūlapariyāya Sutta
45. Ajanta, the main centre of the Buddhist Art is located in the state
(C) Madhya Pradesh
46. This is a book of the Old Testament Bible
(A) Book of Revelation
(B) Book of Isaiah
(D) Letter to the Romans
47. This is a famous Old Testament city
48. The Sermon on the Mount is found in
(A) Book of Wisdom
(B) Gospel of St. John
(C) Gospel of St. Matthew
(D) Letter to the Ephesians
49. The head of the Apostles of Jesus was
(A) St. Thomas
(B) St. Paul
(C) St. Andrew
(D) St. Peter
50. Jesus was born at
51. Match the items of List – I and List – II and identify the correct combination:
List – I List – II
a. Exodus i. Liberator of Israel
b. King David ii. Wise King
c. Solomon iii. Ideal King
d. Moses iv. Liberation from Egypt
a b c d
(A) iv iii ii i
(B) i iii iv ii
(C) iii i ii iv
(D) ii iv i iii
52. Protestant Reformation was started by
(A) Karl Barth
(B) Martin Luther
(C) St. Ambrose
(D) St. Augustine
53. Indian Christianity began in
(A) First Century A.D.
(B) 4th Century A.D.
(C) 16th Century A.D.
(D) 19th Century A.D.
54. The ancient centre of Orthodox Christianity is
55. This is a branch of Christian theology with reference to environment
(A) Reformation Theology
(B) Liberation Theology
(C) Natural Theology
56. The Abbasid rule lasted during the period
(A) 661 A.D. – 750 A.D.
(B) 665 A.D. – 1150 A.D.
(C) 670 A.D. – 1250 A.D.
(D) 750 A.D. – 1258 A.D.
57. Arrange the following caliphs in order in which they appeared. Use the codes given below:
II. Harun Rashid
(A) II, III, I, IV
(B) II, I, IV, III
(C) I, II, III, IV
(D) IV, I, II, III
58. Which of the following pairs is correctly matched?
(A) Al- Khwarizmi – The Father of Historiography
(B) Jabir Ibn Hayyan – The Father of Chemistry
(C) Ibn Sina – The Father of Algebra
(D) Al-Razi – The discoverer of blood circulation
59. Which of the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(A) Al-Zahrawi – Surgery
(B) Ibnul Muqaffa – Kalilah Wa Dimnah
(C) Shaikh Ahmed Sirhindi – Fathur Rahman
(D) Ibnul Haytham – Kitabul Manazir
60. Author of the book Tarjumanul Quran was
(A) Sir Syed Ahmed Khan
(B) Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanawi
(C) Maulana Mahmud Hasan
(D) Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
61. Author of the book Al-Ahkam al- Sultaniyah was
(B) Ibn Khaldun
(C) Ibn Jarir
(D) Ibn Kathir
62. The number of Surahs in the Quran is
63. Author of the book Kashful Mahjub was
(A) Khwaja Muinuddin Chishti
(B) Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya
(C) Syed Ali Bin Uthman Al- Hujwiri
(D) Shaikh Baba Farid
64. The Aligarh Movement is associated with
(A) Nawab Siddiq Hasan Khan
(B) Sir Syed Ahmed Khan
(C) Maulana Azad
(D) Maulana Abdul Majid Daryabadi
65. Arrange the following Sufis in chronological order in which they appeared. Use the codes given below:
I. Qutbuddin Bakhtiar Kaki
II. Fariduddin Ganjshakar
III. Muinuddin Chishti
IV. Nizamuddin Auliya
(A) I, II, IV, III
(B) III, II, I, IV
(C) III, I, II, IV
(D) II, I, III, IV
66. Adi Sakhian was edited by
(A) Dr. Piar Singh
(B) Dr. McLeod
(C) Bhai Vir Singh
(D) None of the above
67. Who sponsored Ernest Trumpp to translate Sri Guru Granth Sahib?
(A) German Govt.
(B) India Office Library
(C) Asiatic Society
(D) Methodist Church
68. Match the following List – I and List – II and identify the correct combination:
List – I List – II
a. The Adi Granth i. Ernest Trumpp
b. Colebrooke ii. Prof. Gurmukh Singh
c. Hafizabadi Janamsakhi iii. Bhai Santokh Singh
d. Chooramani iv. Willayat wali Janansakhi
a b c d
(A) i iii iv ii
(B) iii ii iv i
(C) i iii ii iv
(D) iii ii i iv
Answer: (No option is correct)
69. Which place in Karnataka is associated with the Guru?
(A) Bangalore – Guru Gobind Singh
(B) Bidar – Guru Nanak
(C) Mysore – Guru Gobind Singh
(D) Dharwar – Guru Har Rai
70. Identify the correct order in which the following appeared:
(A) Marriage of Nanaki, Marriage of Guru Nanak, Birth of Mardana, Birth of Bhagat Ravidas
(B) Bhagat Ramanand, Bhagat Ravidas, Bhagat Surdas, Samarth Ram Das
(C) Patti, Sukhmani Sahib, Anand Sahib, Jap Sahib
(D) The Adi Granth, Faridkoti Teeka, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Darpan, Hum Hindu Nahin
71. Which one of the following statements is not correct?
(A) Gurdwaras are not only the place of worship but also the community centre.
(B) Role of Takhat Sahib and Gurdwara is different.
(C) Any one can preach Sikhism in Gurdwara.
(D) There can be no idol worship in Gurdwara.
72. Identify the most essential requirement for a Sikh
(A) Sikh parents
(B) Married life
(C) Faith in one God
(D) Daily attendance in Gurdwara
73. Match the following List – I and List – II:
List – I List – II
a. Khand i. Close to Guru
b. Masand ii. Congregation of Amritdhari Sikh
c. Panth iii. One of the sons of Sixth Guru
d. Baba Gurdita iv. Five
Identify the correct combination.
a b c d
(A) ii i iv iii
(B) ii iii iv i
(C) iii i ii iv
(D) i iii iv ii
Answer: (No option is correct)
74. According to the ‘Sikh code of conduct’ the remains of a dead body after the cremation are
(A) To be left in the cremation ground.
(B) To be left for animals.
(C) To be immersed in the water of any stream.
(D) To be dispersed on the mountains.
75. Identify the correct match:
(A) Guru Nanak – Shah Jahan
(B) Guru Amar Das – Akbar, the Great
(C) Guru Hargobind – Babar
(D) Guru Har Rai – Jahangir